29 September 2005

YGTBFKM*

Some artists I know can draw a great picture, but are totally clueless when it comes to fonts. In the current project, I selected a font that was visually similar to the previous title in the series (developed by a different studio) to give at least some semblance of continuation given that we were tasked with re-inventing the character and story (see Re-invention). It has been in the game for several months now with only the occasional "That's a nice font" comment. The lead artist mentions today that we should change the font to something cleaner, like Helvetica. "Or that one," he says, pointing to my Windows desktop where I had an image open that contained some text on it. "That's a nice clean font." The font in the image was Comic Sans MS. That's right, the over-used, beaten-to-death Comic Fucking Sans MS font that comes standard with Windows and has been used by everyone who ever did their own graphic design in a bog-standard Windows PC, including Bob the Plumber on his business cards, little Timmy on his school assignments and old Mrs Jones writing up the monthly newsletter for the bowling club committee. The game The Sims used Comic Sans MS, but it was also played by Bob the Plumber, Timmy and old Mrs Jones.

Have a read of ban comic sans for mountains of evidence in support of killing this font. Hell, I'm even thinking of buying the t-shirt. If the font does get used in our game, I will buy the t-shirt.

* You've Got To Be Fucking Kidding Me

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Before I became a tired, jaded game developer I was a tired, jaded game reviewer. The site I worked at (which is now sadly erased off the interwebs) for four years used Comic Sans MS exlusively for everything. It broke my brain and made me weep.

This will be just like old times! YAY! :(

10:13 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home